Sunday, August 14, 2011

A GPS For Your Life

Can I tell you about my new running partner? Let me preface this by saying that I have spent the summer training for a half marathon that will take place on Saturday here in Madison. You're probably questioning the wisdom of training for a long race during the season where one continues to sweat even after a cold shower and one's makeup slides off one's face as fast as one can put it on. Yes, I get that. I'm with you.

About six weeks ago, I started running with my new partner and I can honestly say that I have never been so focused and efficient in my training. I have improved immensely over the summer and I hope to "PR" (by this I mean set a personal record for myself) at the race next weekend. I owe a lot to my partner. Let me introduce you: Garmin Forerunner 210, meet everyone. Everyone, meet my cherished running partner, a birthday gift from my husband. The Garmin is a GPS watch that "accurately records how far, how fast and how hard you worked". Absolute bliss for my detail loving, goal oriented, personal challenge needing self. Oh yes. When I reflect on my relationship with my Garmin, I realize how much we would all benefit from a life GPS. Wouldn't it be awesome to know exactly where you stand in the grand scheme of things? Let's adapt the information on the Garmin website to our lives and see what happens....

Easy to use: Press start and take off. Really does it have to be more complex than that? Can we leave the house in the morning with the attitude of taking on the world rather than letting the world take us?

Take it further: For runners who want more training capabilities. One of my favorite questions is "what's the worst that can happen?". Ask for a raise. Take a chance on a different job. Make a new friend. If you push yourself and go for what you deserve, what will happen? Be your own biggest cheerleader.

Follow your heart: Heart rate alerts to notify you when you are above or below your targets. In other words, trust your gut. Your heart knows you better than anyone and only wants you to stay true. Practice listening to what your heart is saying underneath the cacophany of all the noise competing for your attention. Listen.

Outdoors or in: For those who like options. Be flexible and understand that everyone has their own idea of what's good and right and you may certainly feel strongly that your way is the best way....but rest assured there will be plenty who disagree. Try to see things from others' perspectives and you will gain invaluable insight into what makes them tick. A little compassion goes a long way.

Store, analyze and share: See the route you traveled on a map, view a summary of your workout data, create goals and more. We do this subconsciously all the time. We store up experiences and emotions and use them to guide us (right or wrong) the next time we make decisions. When we aren't aware of this, we are in danger of repeating unhealthy patterns. When you are stuck in a place (once again!) of unhappiness, consciously analyze what brought you there. And then choose a different route to travel.

Monitor your health: Track weight, body fat, body water, etc...I firmly believe that physical health is directly affected by mental and emotional health and vice versa. Try improving one and see what happens to the other.

Fast and accurate: A high sensitivity GPS receiver to stay locked onto satellites, even near tall buildings and under tree cover. Ahhh, beware of the proverbial obstacles that will inevitably be thrown in your path. Take a step back, breathe and ask yourself "Where was I going again?". Then your trusty GPS will guide you back to the right path, wherever that may be.

Happy travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment