Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Need A Netflix Fix?

Whoa! So sorry it's been this long since I last blogged. My excuse is that I was out of town (hiking in Boulder, CO! Awesome!) and then came home with a brewing cold (damn those dirty airports!) and then, well...I had writer's block. I tried and tried to think of something thought-provoking, timely, pertinent, or witty and came up empty again and again. As I was complaining about my scarcity of creative juices to my husband, he flippantly said "Why don't you write about your favorite movie?". And I thought, perfect. The movie I have in mind is both pertinent and thought-provoking and somewhat timely as it came out in 2008. This film is a take your breath away, punch in the gut, nauseating emotional roller coaster and I highly recommend it. I dragged my husband to see it on an icy weeknight last spring and I still don't think he's completely forgiven me.

The film is a documentary called Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father. The brief premise (no spoilers here) is that the filmmaker's best friend, a Family Practice resident in Pennsylvania, is brutally murdered by his ex-girlfriend. This ex-girlfriend reveals after the murder that she is pregnant with his child, Zachary. The filmmaker knows that Zachary will never know his father so he sets out to make a documentary about his life by interviewing everyone who ever knew him. Meanwhile the murder investigation is still going on...If you can resist, don't read anything else about the movie before you see it. It is most powerful if you go in not knowing what to expect. You might sob uncontrollably. But it is so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment