Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I'm Watching You December...

December is a mere 2 weeks away. How can that be?! It seems like just a few weeks ago I was telling you about all my summer discoveries. I'd like to bury my head under my pillows and wake up when it's spring again. Of course, here in the windy city, that might not happen until June. How did you sneak up on me December? Did you push November into the slot normally reserved for October? Because I have to say, I don't remember October having much of a presence this year. Hmmm, I am giving you the stink-eye December. Don't think I don't remember how you tried to imitate February last year with all your snow and freezing rain. Even shoving your holiday cheer in my face won't make me forget wrapping my living room in saran wrap just so I could sit on my couch and STILL freeze. Damn you.

When I introduced myself (and this blog) to you I mentioned that I was from Arizona. The first question I get, after a look of amazement, is "Why did you move here??". I have answered this question so many times over the last few years that I feel I have it down to easily digested little nuggets. Here are the highlights (expounding to be done at a later date):
  • I moved here because someone I respected and trusted said it was a good place for me to be.
  • I moved here to explore a passion.
  • I moved here because I thought I would fit in and be successful anywhere, no matter how far from my family and friends and familiarity I traveled.
  • I moved here to discover that things don't work out just because you want them to. Really badly.
  • I moved here to remind myself that I make mistakes, I am far from perfect and that is ok.
  • I moved here to experience the dissolution of a dream and an identity and to create new ones, however different and unfamiliar they may appear to me still.
  • I moved here to rely on the company of myself and my dog when things got lonely, and learn to be ok with that.
  • I moved here to discover what I really want to be when I grow up.
  • I moved here to eventually take a job that would push the limits of my confidence and hold a mirror to the ethical principles in which I truly believe, as unpopular as they may be.
  • I moved here to meet my husband and his dog.
  • I moved here to grow and struggle and be lonely and make friends and be a pediatrician.

Now you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment