Wednesday, March 31, 2010

My Olfactophobia

So, I survived the whole winter without getting sick. I evaded seasonal flu, H1N1, RSV and even a bocavirus or two. I religously wash and sanitize my hands, at work and at home. In fact, I drive my husband crazy nagging him to wash his hands right when he gets home from work because A) he takes the bus B) he works with Pseudomonas (that's not a person, but a nasty bacteria) and C) I have a strong aversion to smells on hands, even those that aren't my own.

Despite all of that....I came down with a raging cold that bloomed into a sinus infection just in time for my annual "March Madness" vacation. On antibiotics and breathing freely, I am back at work 2 weeks later. And back to blogging. Now just in time for the historic health care reform passage. Atul Gawande, of whom i've spoken before, writes a thought-provoking editorial for The New Yorker calling on physicians and communities to take responsibility for the success of the reform and the repair of our damaged health care system. The battle has just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment