Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Lying Fortune Cookies and the Women Who Love Them

For some reason, working at night makes me hungry. So hungry that I can't seem to stop snacking. It's bad. I don't get hungry like that at home. Why must I be so hungry at work? Tonight I found myself scrounging at the bottom of my lunch bag and I came up with stale fortune cookies. I won't lie. I ate them. I'm not proud.

One fortune said "You will be successful in whatever you do." Really? That's good to know. I was worried about that. Especially since i'm starting a new job this summer. Maybe I should actually start training for that triathlon i've been planning to do for the last 8 years. Sweet. But how do I make sure that this fortune cookie is not just blowing smoke...in my face? After all, what does it have to lose? I was going to eat it one way or another so why not just lie? I'm paranoid like that. Don't judge me. I decided to look into this whole idea of success. Where did I turn? To the business world. Those people do nothing but focus on being successful. Here's what they taught me.

Success is a choice we must make daily. In other words,
1. Decide to do the different every single day. Ever notice how much more you see when you take a different route to work? The different is a minefield of discovery. Leave your comfort zone, if only for a little while.

2. Just ask. You can't win if you don't play. When you don't ask for what you need, the only answer is no.

3. Learn something new everyday. Kindergarteners do it. Why can't you?

4. Be active. This one is my personal favorite. I love exercise and being healthy. I've never found it especially motivating to lounge on the couch for hours watching tv, much to the disappointment of my husband!

5. Choose carefully who you hang out with. Surround yourself with people who you admire and respect. Do a quick friend and colleague check. Do they make you a better version of yourself? If not, consider seeking out those who inspire you and minimizing interaction with those who don't. I know, it's easier said than done.

No comments:

Post a Comment