Monday, January 10, 2011

My Hero

Let's be honest. There are a lot of topics that I avoid writing about in this blog because I don't believe it is the forum for my political opinions or to inflame anyone else's opinions. However, in light of the weekend's events in Tucson, I must comment. It has been surprisingly hard and very personal to see my hometown splashed all over the news. Glimpsing the sandwich shop my husband I ate at in November in the foreground of footage of the crime scene is surreal. Seeing the hospital where I did both my medical school and residency training as the backdrop for the neurosurgeons' press conferences is chilling. The flowers and candlelit vigils at various spots around town make me ache with sorrow, homesickness and pride, all at once.

However, I can't stop thinking of the little girl, Christina, who lost her life that day. She had just been elected to student council and was thinking about a future in politics. A neighbor thought it would be fun to take her to meet the Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords. What a gift, for that little girl to have her dreams so supported. Do you remember what it was like to be 9 years old? The world was spread out before you and you had an infinite number of choices, each one more exciting than the next. The only problem was finding enough hours in the day to explore all the things you wanted to explore. When I was young, I wanted to be a writer, so I wrote. Then I wanted to be a lawyer, so I read. Then I wanted to be a doctor, so I went to medical school. I was blessed to have a family who supported those dreams, however lofty they seemed, and made me feel like I could do whatever I wanted. And here I am, tremendously satisfied with the life that I have chosen.

We'll never know if Christina would have gone on to be a successful politician. But, given what I've read of her and her family, I believe she would have gone on to be successful at whatever she chose because her dreams were valued. She is my hero because she died following the thread of a passion without fear of failing. I only wish that was as easy at 35 as it was at 9.

I hope you will honor Christina and all the victims of this vicious attack by pursuing your own thread of passion or by nurturing a child's dreams and allowing them to believe in themselves and the endless possibilities the world has to offer. Rest in Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment