Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Devil Wears Prada. And Scrubs.

We've all heard about the epidemic of bullying in schools. But did you know that there is workplace bullying too? This is a real phenomenon of which I was unaware until it happened to me. True story. Sort of. I may be overreacting. At least according to my husband.

I was on service and was caring for a patient with a persistent pain issue. She had undergone multiple studies looking for the source of the pain but nothing was found. I consulted a surgeon to get some guidance as to where to look next. He made a recommendation that did not make logical sense to me, so I planned to say "Thank you for your time" and move on. Afterall, the patient was on my service. On a side note, I don't usually ignore my consultants' recommendations. In fact, I often err on the side of being overly gracious and thankful for their help. BUT, I feel very strongly that I am responsible for the well being of my patients and if I don't think that a recommendation makes sense I won't jump to follow it. Anyway, the next day the surgeon called me to ask why I hadn't done what they said to do and you know what? I suddenly saw myself as 3 feet tall and the surgeon as 6 feet tall. I got sweaty and clammy and stammered over my words as I tried to politely explain that I didn't understand their logic and didn't feel like I wanted to follow their plan. I did my best to dance around the fact that I was really saying "I don't agree with you and I plan to do what I want to do instead." The surgeon strenuously repeated his plan and I timidly danced around the phrase "I don't want to do that because I think you're wrong." He went so far as to threaten to move the patient to his service so that he could do what he wanted and I wouldn't be involved at all. Ugh. I felt completely undermined and self-conscious and wasn't at all sure I was ready, after being at this job for 8 months, to go head to head with an experienced surgeon. In short, I felt bullied. In a big way. But I went ahead and implemented his plan even though I felt sick about it. I knew it wasn't going to hurt my patient, but I firmly believed that it wouldn't help. The next day a new surgeon came on service and completely changed the plan that I had put into place after being bullied into it. And she got better. "I knew it! I told you!" I screamed. On the inside.

If you google bullying in the workplace you get a ton of hits. Did you know there is a Workplace Bullying Institute? There's also a blog called Bully Free at Work with links to a book and an e-course. Wow. Now you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment