Sunday, November 27, 2011

A Sunday Night PSA

This picture is the new ad campaign for Milwaukee's fight against infant co-sleeping. The campaign's purpose is to make people aware of the dangers of co-sleeping and in effect, reduce Milwaukee's infant mortality rate by 10%. As I looked into the reason behind the campaign, I was shocked to learn that certain zip codes in Milwaukee have an infant mortality rate higher than many 3rd world countries. In fact, they are neck and neck with Albania for rates of infant deaths. The rate is even higher for African-American babies.

As unsettling as this ad is, once you get past the shock and confusion (I wondered how sleeping with a baby could be more dangerous for me than sleeping with a meat cleaver....then I got it) you might just understand how something as innocent as sharing a bed with your baby can have a tragic ending. Because the facts speak so much louder than I ever could, please visit this website for more information. A little dose of perspective seems fitting to wrap up this Thanksgiving weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment