Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Hello March. I've Been Expecting You.

I have no excuse for being MIA for the past few weeks other than I was sucked into the black hole of February. I think this happened last year too. Yes, I just checked. It did. What the hell February?!

Anyway, let's talk about careers. Big news this week....I was just selected to be the new Director of Pediatric Medical Student Education at my institution. Basically, I will be in charge of all things 3rd year medical students + pediatrics. Score! I'm super excited and see this as a big opportunity for me to advance in the field of education. I'm also nervous...I've never been in charge of something so important before. I'm struggling with the fact that I will have to cut back on my clinical time to half of what I do now in order to have enough protected time for my new job. This is awesome for me, not so awesome for my coworkers. Yes, my guilt fairy is in full force, sounding like Piper Laurie in the movie Carrie "They're all going to resent you! They're all going to resent you!" I'm hoping we can hire someone to fill the gap I'm leaving and I can make the transition with a minimal amount of unrest. This is about as likely as Kanye West saying anything that sounds halfway intelligent, but a girl can dream.

I caught up with a close friend of mine from residency, also a pediatric hospitalist, and she shared with me her dissatisfaction with her job. She just started this job last summer, but already the honeymoon is over. What we've failed to realize until now is that no matter how hard you worked in medical school and residency, there is no one person, group, or institution who will value you as much as you value yourself. There are always flaws. Much like marriage right? You gather pieces from all over to put together the house of cards that is your life and hope like hell a strong wind doesn't blow through. And if it does? You build again. Over and over again. The most important thing I learned from my life coach was that we make our choice of how to view the world, every day. We create the constellation of our life and consciously choose to whom we give our emotional energy. I choose to put my family, my friends and own personal growth at the center of my constellation, with other things scattered near or far depending on how much weight I give them. And most of the time it works.

Speaking of creating and careers, my husband just made his very first batch of homebrewed beer. He ceremoniously tasted it over the weekend. If he was going for a watered-down Bud Light flavor, he nailed it. I'm proud of him for trying something new and exploring something he loves (beer, not watered-down Bud Light). He'll try again and I know he'll achieve whatever flavor profile he wants with a little practice. Can a scientist move from the lab to the brewery and be successful? It's spring and new things are sprouting all over the place. Why not?

2 comments:

  1. hi, Useful info. Hope to see more good posts in the future.
    water coolers

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is the pediatrician life going? I go to a pediatrician in Silverdale, WA and I really appreciate everything that you do for the community. It's a lot of school! I really think there has to be more to the driving force of all that schooling than the money in the future. You really have to care and have a big heart.

    ReplyDelete