Monday, June 22, 2009

Planning Makes Perfect

"One day at a time". That phrase really gets on my nerves. And here's why. I'm a planner. Always have been, always will try to be. I get the benefit of living in the moment, taking things day by day, not worrying about things that haven't happened yet, etc. I get it. But, I enjoy planning for the future. It is immensely satisfying for me to feel like I have things figured out 'just in case'. Haven't you ever been in a situation where you thought "Gosh I wish I would've thought about making those awesome cupcakes for my birthday party instead of scrambling around and buying 'two bite brownies' at the last minute."? No? Well, you get my point.

Sometimes remembering what got me jazzed up in medical school and residency is enough to kick me in gear and start making a plan for my ideal career. Planning to accomplish everything I had hoped to back then gets me through the occasional days when I realize I am not quite there yet. So today, I challenge you to do one thing for your future. Your future can be next week, next year, or your 80th birthday. Stay connected to your future. That is where some of your best moments are yet to be realized. That said, I'm going to try out that new cupcake recipe. I might need it someday...

No comments:

Post a Comment