Tuesday, June 16, 2009

You + Me + DC?

Hey there! I'd like to cordially invite you to attend the AAP National Conference and Exhibition in Washington DC this October. If you're already planning on going, great, reading ahead is optional. If you've always wondered what that NCE thing was all about, or if against all odds, you've never heard of the NCE, do yourself a favor and keep reading. That is if you're not turned off by my apparent love of commas.

The NCE is the AAP's official meeting and is held every year in some awesome city in October. To call it a bountiful feast of education, networking, socialization and pride in all that is pediatrics would almost do it justice. Almost. My first NCE experience was as an intern. All the shininess had worn off intern year as had the novelty of being a doctor and I was looking for a shot of inspiration to get me through the cold hard winter (Ok, I was in Arizona so the winter wasn't that cold, but you get it). I tend to do that a lot. Look for injections of inspiration that is. Following my heart is both a blessing and a curse at times. But I digress. Our program was already funding someone to go so I paid my own way and dragged my mom with me on an impromptu vacation in New Orleans. This was pre-Katrina so the French Quarter was in full force. We packed our weekend full of Bourbon Street, the French Market, the trolley cars, Haunted Places tour, Cemetery tour, and of course, beignets at Cafe Du Monde. And that's in addition to going to the conference! I attended the Section on Residents (now known as the Section on Medical Students, Residents and Fellowship Trainees) educational program. I have to tell you that that experience was one of THE defining moments of my life. The excitement and motivation and pride I felt at being a pediatrician has been unmatched since that day, but it set in motion a sequence of events that changed the trajectory of my career. I have continued to be heavily involved with the AAP since (including authoring this blog) and it added a dimension to my residency training that few were lucky to experience.

Disclaimer: Results not typical. Now, I know that not everyone had the cosmic turn that I did and not everyone can expect a life changing experience by attending the NCE. Just like I know that not every bad day can be made better with a little wine and chocolate. But you never know so why not try, right? I'll see you in DC. Do it up. Do it up right.

No comments:

Post a Comment