Thursday, July 2, 2009

New Year's In July

My favorite time of year has always been the Fall. Fall meant that school was starting again and I had another year to prove myself and do things right. I usually started the school year with a handful of resolutions. You know, like ummmm, try to be in the cool crowd. For once. The first few weeks I would carefully model myself after the pictures in my Seventeen magazine and slip into my 'bubbly' persona as soon as I walked into the building for my first class. Year after year I tried this and inevitably would settle into my less-than-cool self which was much less time and energy consuming. But, so much more rewarding. In hindsight.

Nowadays, I have those same feelings in the beginning of July. No not the "please let me be cool this year" feeling. The anticipation of something fresh, something better. A chance to renew my commitment to my profession and make good on those resolutions. Only now they are more along the lines of 1. Read Pediatrics EVERY month 2. Answer my PREP self-assessment questions online weekly 3. Peruse the current literature on clinical scenarios I encounter at work 4. volunteer to teach PBL for the medical students 5. Push myself to teach the residents I work with at each and every opportunity even though I only see them at night and all they really want to do is get through until morning.

I couldn't wait to get to work tonight and meet the new residents. The memory of walking into the hospital at 5am on my first day as an intern is seared into my brain. I love that memory and I love realizing how far I've come. So here's to a new year's worth of resolutions. I just hope I'm more successful with these than with that 'learning how to knit' resolution....

No comments:

Post a Comment