Sunday, August 16, 2009

You Say Hotcakes, I Say Heaven

One of my fondest memories of my childhood involves pancakes. My mom used to make me pancakes as a special treat in the morning before school. Mmmm, I have clear visions of their thin pale yellow buttery goodness. All she had to say to get me out of bed was "Do you want pancakes?". Occasionally, she would go so far as to put chocolate chips in them. How many kids get to have homemade chocolate chip pancakes before heading off to school in the morning?! Not many I bet. I'm a lucky girl.

You can imagine my disappointment when I learned that my husband hates pancakes. With a passion that I cannot fathom. So, pancakes aren't a welcome guest in our house as often as I would like. BUT, my grand plan is that our children will love pancakes. And then he'll be outnumbered won't he? I imagine weekends filled with the smell of homemade (with real buttermilk) pancakes. Blueberry, banana, whole wheat, peanut butter, oatmeal, chocolate chip...yes, all kinds of pancakes smothered in real butter.

Did you know that kids can develop a taste for things that their mom ate during pregnancy? Yeah, now you see how my plan will unfold right? Check out this great article in the Miami Herald about raising "foodie" children. What was I doing reading the Miami Herald you say? I say, why not?!
http://www.miamiherald.com/living/story/1182212.html

1 comment:

  1. I refuse to reproduce with you if it means i'll be stuck with little pancake/cookie addicted toblerone-childretn.:)

    ReplyDelete