Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Who I Am Not

I've got something to vent about and I'm going to use this blog of mine to do it. Are you with me? Here we go...

In the midst of this job search that has become the white noise of my life for the past 6 months I have realized something. And no, it's not the futility of fitting all of my toiletries into 3oz bottles and putting them in 1 ziploc bag. Although that's true. I've learned that physicians can be as a group some of the rudest most unprofessional people. Sad but true. And since I'm a pediatrician and dealing with other pediatricians, you know I am referring to the nicest of all specialties, pediatricians. I know, I am surprised too.

I write this as I sit here in a not unfamiliar position of waiting to hear from a physician who I was supposed to speak with an hour ago to discuss a job. This is the second (maybe third?) time I have been in this position. Is it so hard to remember an appointment to speak with a professional colleague? If you are running late, I understand. But I have been waiting for an hour. Not cool my friend, not cool at all. And to everyone who decides that an email is not worth answering for a couple of weeks, even if it comes from a very nice and talented physician and contains a letter of interest and a CV? This blog post's for you. What about those who say "I'll get back to you at the end of (blank) month" and then the end of the month comes and I have to send a 'friendly email reminder' (or two) that I am still here and still waiting and still interested in your opinion of me and what I have to offer despite now feeling like I am the gum on the bottom of your shoe. Shame on you.

I can't change the behavior of my colleagues. But i'll be damned if I will forget what this feels like. And when the situation is reversed, as it will be someday, I will acknowledge the efforts of young pediatricians trying to advance in the scary and often intimidating world of medicine. I will remember that we as physicians are not above simple manners and kindness and be humbled. Until then, I believe in karma and gut feelings and the healing power of red wine and chocolate chip cookies. And i'm a better person for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment