Saturday, January 9, 2010

Be. Look. Love.

Happy New Year! My first post of the new year and I have to tell you I am already so excited about what 2010 will bring. For starters, there seems to be love in the air. Do you notice that when things are happening to the people around you you are forced to hold a mirror up to your own life, whether you like it or not? It's been happening to me. My best friend recently met a man about whom she is completely crazy. I've never heard her gush about anyone like she gushed about this guy. I've told her so many times that she deserves the best and I'm not sure she ever really believed me. I hope someday soon I can tell her "I told you so." My college roommate, like a sister to me, recently visited me here in Chicago and brought her new boyfriend along. Second verse, same as the first. They seem so happy together and in love. I left them feeling at peace that she had found someone who finally would see her as the special person she is. And then some. I had dinner last night with a good friend who, after three years of dating, is still amazed at what a fabulous person her boyfriend is and feels blessed to have him in her life. Precious!

A few years ago, I would have held up a mirror to my life and felt....lacking. I had done it over and over again as a naturally competitive person and as my toughest critic and own worst enemy. And now? Now I look at the love of my life and feel an overwhelming sense of gratitude that we found each other. I no longer wish to be anywhere or anyone but here and who I am. So as we feel our way into this new year, I am comforted knowing that my life and the lives of my dearest friends are pretty dang rosy. I can't ask for much more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment