Monday, October 18, 2010

Chocolate Chips Do Everything But Get You Promoted

Today I read an article titled "10 Most Common Excuses for NOT Making Ideas Happen" and I just had to jot down my thoughts. I've recently been coming from a place where I second-guess myself. A lot. There are all sorts of ideas I have about what I want to achieve and areas I want to explore because they get me excited to come to work in the morning. But when someone asks me the dreaded "So, what are you interested in?", I feel like what comes out of my mouth completely pales in comparison to what I envision in my head. Then I feel like a lame. A lame who should go home and make pumpkin chocolate chip cookies to make herself feel better. But I digress.

Number 2 on the list is "I'm afraid of the competition." How many times have you read a published study and thought "I totally could have done that" or "I thought of doing that a long time ago"? I do it all the time! Now when I think of something I want to study, I convince myself that someone has already thought of that idea and is putting their infinite supply of resources and time to that very project. The author makes a point that "competition validates your idea by creating a category". Hmmm, point well taken.

Number 5 is "I have to plan it out properly first." I think this would be the title of my memoir! Truly, "spend more time doing, and less time planning." Thanks for the reminder.

Lastly, I love "I can't overcome the inertia". According to the article, setting "lofty goals from a resting start" is a recipe for failure and discouragement. Setting smaller, more manageable goals allows momentum to build and powers you through to the big picture. I use this all the time when I clean the house (I'm just going to start with the dishes, then we'll see how it goes from there) and I never thought about utilizing this idea more often with my career.

Here's the link to the full article. Check it out.
http://www.openforum.com/idea-hub/topics/managing/article/10-most-common-excuses-for-not-making-ideas-happen-behance-team




No comments:

Post a Comment