Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Something Smells Like Band-aids

Sometimes life slips you a little good when all you've been concentrating on is the bad. I like those times.

I felt like a proud parent this morning when one of the residents presented his first journal club as part of the Evidence Based Medicine curriculum that I'm now responsible for running. He did beautifully. In fact, it went off exactly how I envisioned it in my head. And I actually think he (and the audience) learned something. Bonus! My husband teases me and calls me the "Queen of all things Journal Club". I won't lie. I love journal articles and the conversation they ignite and the delicious calculations we can perform with the data. Crazy-town.

I'm about to sit on a panel for 4th year medical students to talk about one of my other favorite topics of all time. Why I chose Pediatrics! There's nothing that can ignite my passion for my career choice quite like explaining the why and wherefores to a bunch of blessedly altruistic medical students. Did I mention there's pizza?

On Thursday, I'm leaving for Kansas City to attend the Pediatric Hospital Medicine conference. I'm looking forward to lots of lectures, debates and nerdy networking. My husband is coming with me and we've decided to drive. We're still recovering from our most recent airline experience involving a "paperwork issue" that led to an hour delay and missed connection, a night spent in a hotel 30 miles from the airport with nothing but the clothes we were wearing and a free toothbrush, a $60 cab ride to said hotel, a broken toilet and general magnificent levels of incompetence. Oh, and it was my birthday. Needless to say, we're looking forward to a romantic road trip.

So, thanks life. Thanks for the reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment