Thursday, August 4, 2011

I Have Trouble With Math

Five things I learned about myself last week:

1. If I drive for more than 7 hours straight in a crappy rental car without cruise control, power windows or locks and stained upholstery, I will curse myself for not choosing instead to drive our brand new SUV.

2. I live in a very small world. I know this because at the Pediatric Hospital Medicine conference I ran into my med school roommate whom I haven't seen in 9 years and found out that she just took a job in Tucson that my friend from residency recently left in order to take a job in Austin that I had applied for and didn't get but told her how great it was so she applied for it a year later. Make sense?

3. I have a friend who I only see once a year but we can still pick up where we left off and spend hours talking about our lives. Everyone needs that kind of friend and sometimes I forget to give thanks for that friendship.

4. If given a set of evaluations from medical students and residents, and they are positive in nature, I will carry them around in my bag and pull them out at lunch and read them over and over again (to myself, not out loud!). Occasionally, I am my own cheerleader. Embarrassing but true.

5. If I want to be a true leader, I have to stop being afraid to own who I am and my thoughts and opinions. I have to establish my credibility by walking the walk and coming correct in spite of those who have different ideas of what the future should look like.

6. I want to be a true leader.

Sorry, that's six things I learned about myself. It was a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment