Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Day Seven: Identify and Live Your Personal Values

"Yes, if you want to say that I was a drum major, say that I was a drum major for justice. Say that I was a drum major for peace. I was a drum major for righteousness. And all of the other shallow things will not matter." Martin Luther King Jr delivered this quote in 1968 about a eulogy that could be given when he died. It is now at the center of a controversy involving his memorial in Washington. Maya Angelou has criticized the shortened version inscribed on the memorial which reads "I was a drum major for justice, peace and righteousness." Her criticism comes from a firm belief that the values for which King stood are exemplified in the humility of the real quote and not reflected in the shortened version. You can decide for yourself.

Today's task is to identify the values from which you were formed and those with which you conduct yourself today. Values come from a lifetime of experiences and relationships and form the foundation upon which you make decisions and choices. In order to change the way you think and act, necessities for moving forward and reaching your goals, you must know the values guiding those thoughts and actions. Once defined, values impact every aspect of your life.

Here are some of my values: efficiency, loyalty, honesty, accountability, integrity, independence, activity. Despite sounding like a German car commercial, I live these values in my day to day personal and professional life. And for the most part, I am at peace with who I am and where I am in life. There's something to be said for living your values and true happiness. Living your values is a powerful tool to helping you reach your goals and attain success.


No comments:

Post a Comment