Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Day Six: Promote Your Personal Development Every Day

When was the last time you sat and thought about all the things that make you happy? Does anyone really ever do that? And why the heck don't we do it more often? How about the last time you felt bored, unfulfilled or generally unhappy with the way your life is going? Dollars to doughnuts that question was easier for you to answer. Sad isn't it? Day six is all about promoting your growth and motivation. Also known as indulging in a bit of daydreaming and emotional pampering. It's ok, really. More than ok, it's necessary if we are going to get past this day and move on with our quest for happiness.

My husband and I were driving on campus today and noticed the students moving in to the residence halls. He commented that he felt sad that the great adventures in life, going away to college, studying abroad, going away for grad school, were already past. I've been thinking about what he said and just can't get myself to feel the same way. I've loved my past...but I love the anticipation of my future even more. I can't wait to have kids, advance in my career, make new friends, travel, rescue more dogs from the shelter, watch my friends fall in love and get married, be the favorite aunt, run more races and grow old with my husband. I admit, maybe I'm naive. But I'll choose naive and happy any day. If you feel bored with your life, or even if you feel content but want to feel joyful, try the following exercises.

List everything you'd like to do in your lifetime. Does your current lifestyle support the accomplishment of these dreams? If not, what changes will you need to make in order to make this true?

Write down your ten favorite activities. Do you get to do these things weekly? Daily? Is it possible to fit at least one of them in each day? How about making that the goal for the week?

Think of a time when you felt more positively about your life. What has changed between then and now? List everything that is different. This may help give you insight into what is making you less happy now. Can you find something to improve? This might be a toughie.

Schedule quiet, thinking time for yourself every single day. Allow your thoughts to wander, they will often lead you to unexpected places and if you quiet the loud (negative) noise in your head, you might hear a revealing answer to the questions above. This sounds easy but takes practice. Self reflection does not come automatically for many and it might be a weak muscle that you need to strengthen before you can really make the most of this quiet time. For me, that time is when I run. I notice that if I don't exercise for a couple days in a row, I get irritable and agitated. It's like my thoughts are piling up on my mental desk, covering all available space and generally creating clutter in my mind. My exercise time is for me and me alone, and it's when I do my mental filing. When I finish, I feel mentally and emotionally "cleaner". Spend time in your own head. And if you need a mantra, repeat after me "Self care is a worthwhile endeavor". You're on your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment